What Guitar Does Joe Satriani Use?
Joe Satriani started his career as a guitar teacher and judging by some of his former students he was a successful tutor. His former students include; Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, Kevin Cadogan, Larry LaLonde and Charlie Hunter. He went on to have a highly successful solo career.
He was with Deep Purple for a while, played lead guitar for Mick Jagger’s solo tour and Joe has also sold more than 10 million albums worldwide which makes him the best selling instrumental rock guitarist ever.
What Kind Of Guitar Does Joe Satriani Play?
Joe has one guitar that he’s used on every album since “the Extremist” album. That guitar is a 1958 Fender Esquire. He also has his own Ibanez signature guitars and he’s also owned or played many other guitars over the years including;
- 1958 Gibson Les Paul TV Special
- Ibanez Js1000 Black Pearl
- Ibanez RX20
- Ibanez JS2CH
- Gibson ES-350
- 1958 Gibson Flying V
- Ibanez JS2410 Joe Satriani Signature
- 1955 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
- Fender Custom Shop Telecaster
- Ibanez Destroyer
- Ibanez JS1200 Joe Satriani Signature
- Hagstrom III
- Ibanez S8QM
- Ibanez JS2400 Joe Satriani Signature
- Ibanez JS2480MCR Joe Satriani Signature
- Fender Custom Shop 1969 Stratocaster
- Fender Esquire
- Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
- Ibanez JS24P Joe Satriani Signature
- Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Stratocaster
- Epiphone Riviera
- Fender Stratocaster
- 1957 Gibson Les Paul Junior
- Ibanez 2469 Futura
Joe Also Owns Or Plays The Following Acoustic Guitars;
- Ibanez JSA10 Satriani Signature All-Solid Acoustic-Electric
- 1948 Martin OOO-21
- Martin OM-28
- Martin D-28 Authentic 1941
- Gibson J-45
Who Has Joe Satriani Worked With During His Long Career?
Joe Satriani has worked with many great artists during his career including;
- Alice Cooper
- The Yardbirds
- Ian Gillen
- Eric Johnson
- Jordan Rudess
- Spinal Tap
- John Petrucci
- Chad Smith
- Michael Anthony
- Steve Morse
- Gregg Bissonette
- Deep Purple
- The Greg Kihn Band
- Dream Theater
- Crowded House
- Sammy Hagar
- Stu Hamm
- Steve Vai
- Blue Oyster Cult
- And many more
What Strings Does Joe Satriani Use?
Joe uses D’Addario EXL110 Nickel Wound Regular Light Guitar Strings.
What Amps Does Joe Satriani Use?
Joe has used many amps over his long career including;
- Scholz Research & Development Rockman X100 Headphone Amp
- Univox U65RN
- Marshall 30th Anniversary 6960A
- Vox AC10 Twin 2X10 Combo Amp
- Marshall JVM410HJS Joe Satriani Tube Guitar Amp Head
- 1950s Fender Twin
- Fender AB668 “Silverface” Pro Reverb
- Mezzabarba MZERO
- Fender Bandmaster
- Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus
- Peavey 5150 120-watt Guitar Amp Head
- KSR Orthos MkII
- Marshall 30th Anniversary 6100
- Marshall Major
- Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ Head
- Peavey JSX Joe Satriani Signature Amp Head
- Marshall 30th Anniversary 6960B
- Fender Bassman AA864
- Fender ‘brown/brownface’ Deluxe Amp 6G3
- Peavey JSX Mini Colossal Guitar Amp
- Marshall JVM Series JVM410H 100-Watt Tube Guitar Amp Head
- Hafler Triple Giant Designed By Bogner
- KSR Gemini 100-Watt Tube Guitar Amp Head
- Lazy J J80 Combo
- Fender Concert 4×10 Brownface
- Marshall Super Lead 100-Watt Head
- Marshall 1960B 4×12” Cabinet
What Effects Pedals Does Joe Satriani Use?
Joe has used numerous effect pedals over the years including;
- Ibanez FL-9 Flanger
- MXR EVH-117 Analog Flanger
- Fulltone Ultimate Octave
- Fulltone OF-2 Octafuzz
- Xotic Effects SP Compressor Pedal
- DigiTech WH1 Whammy Pedal
- Neunaber Wet Reverb Pedal V3
- Chandler Tube Driver Tube Overdrive Pedal
- Dunlop EP101 Echoplex Preamp
- Boss PS-5 Super Shifter
- Boss BF-2 Flanger
- Boss DM-2 Delay
- Wells Amp NYC 8 Ball
- Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator
- DigiTech Whammy Pitch-Shifting Pedal
- JHS The Calhoun V2
- Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo
- Boss DS-1 Distortion
- Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
- Fulltone 69 MKII
- Electro-Harmonix Micro POG
- Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
- DigiTech X-Series DigiVerb
- Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe Plus
- TC Electronic Sub ‘N’ Up Octaver Dual Octave Pedal
- Vox Joe Satriani Signature Ice 9 Overdrive
- Boss OD-1 OverDrive
- Maxon OD808 Overdrive
- Dunlop 535Q Cry Baby Multi-Wah
What Pickups Does Joe Satriani Use?
Joe has used many pick-ups over the years including;
- DiMarzio DP216 Mo’ Joe™
- DiMarzio Satch Track Neck Pick-up
- DiMarzio DP213 PAF Joe
- Dimarzio The Chopper DP184
- DiMarzio DP153 FRED
- DiMarzio DP180 Air Norton S
Who Did Joe Satriani Teach To Play Guitar?
Joe was an accomplished guitar tutor and he has taught many famous guitarists over the years including;
- Rick Hunolt
- Kirk Hammett
- Alex Skolnick
- Kevin Cadogan
- Larry LaLonde
- Steve Vai
- Andy Timmons
- Charlie Hunter
What Chords Does Joe Satriani Use?
Joe uses lots of power chords, and he also plays barre chords higher up the fretboard (Em at the 7th fret). He uses partial chords, 6chords (C6), sus4 and sus2 chords.
What Pick Does Joe Satriani Use?
Joe uses Planet Waves Satriani Chrome Dome Picks.
What Kind Of Music Does Joe Satriani Play?
Joe Satriani plays instrumental rock, blues rock and hard rock music.
How To Play Guitar Like Joe Satriani
Joe is an experienced guitarist, he plays his own versions of chords using all the right notes but not in a conventional order. Joe uses pentatonic scales, Dorian blues, power chords,he also plays using techniques like palm muting, vibrato and pinch harmonics. As well as two handed tapping, arpeggios and broken chords.
What Age Did Joe Satriani Learn Guitar?
Joe learned to play guitar when he was 14 years of age. He said he’d just heard that Hendrix had died and told his football coach he was giving up sports to play guitar.
Frequently Asked Questions
Joe Satriani taught many famous guitarists including; David Bryson, Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, Larry LaLonde, Alex Skolnick, Kevin Cadogan and Charlie Hunter.
Joe Satriani and Steve Vai are good friends and hang out together whenever their busy schedules allow.
Joe Satriani is considered by many people to be one of the best guitarists in the world.